Friday, August 9, 2013

Double Strollers: What would you recommend, if any? Or did you even bother with one?

baby trend travel system jogging stroller on Baby Jogger Travel System | Baby Trend Jogging Stroller
baby trend travel system jogging stroller image



Maritimer


For parents with a (or had a) young toddler and a new baby, can you tell me what you'd recommend as far as a stroller goes? I've been looking at two.

The first is the Baby Trend Sit and Stand double stroller. It's a typical in-line double stroller, and the rear seat comes off when the toddler is older so they can just sit on the platform or stand on their own. It comes as a travel system. http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=4279629&prodFindSrc=search

Or should I get a jogging stroller? I was looking at one of the Phil & Ted Explorer Buggy strollers where you buy a double kit, and it becomes a double in-line stroller. http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=4452629&prodFindSrc=search This one can carry different brands of infant car seats to make it a travel system.

I guess my problem is that I have two Evenflo infant seats and neither of them are going to be any good to me once this new baby comes, if I want a double stroller.

So...in saying all of that, do you think I'd be better off with option #1, where it comes as a travel system and I don't have to purchase another car seat separately, option #2, where I'd have to additionally buy the conversion kit plus another new car seat, or my 3rd option: to just use the stroller that I have (that is also Evenflo and I can use the seats I already have, too, and let my toddler walk everywhere?

What worked best for your family? Did you find your toddler did well without a stroller? Carson is really good in stores...we don't use a stroller for her at this point, and I just hold her hand or let her walk a little ways in front of me. But with a new baby I can see that becoming very difficult to do.
It's just me: No, not all car seats ARE interchangeable. I tried my evenflo on the Baby Trend Sit and Stand. It doesn't click to latch it on securely. So in that case, it ONLY fits THEIR brand.The Phil and Ted jogging stroller fits Graco, Maxi Cosi, and Peg Perego. Not Evenflo (I have also tried this).

Trust me, I would not have asked this if it weren't a VALID question, so don't act like answering it was a complete waste of your time.
Response to It's Just Me: Listen, I have been in contact with the company, both Evenflo for my car seats and the companies that sell the strollers. Yes, Phil & Ted's DO sell a conversion kit for the car seats I've listed, you're right. But they do not have one for Evenflo seats. Likewise, as far as the other stroller (the travel system) goes, there IS no conversion kit available. I've spoken with them. I've tried it in the store with my car seat. It's a no go. So before you go off saying "Oh la la la, they all fit, I must know what I'm talking about"...take a moment and actually LISTEN to what I am saying. I have done my research, I've tested and tried. Evenflo is one of those brands that not many stroller companies support. So yes, I totally want to go out looking for an excuse to spend between $300-$700. That was the exact point of my question (sarcasm).



Answer
It's Just Me: You're a snarky woman. End of story. There is no such thing as a completely 100% interchangeable car seat and stroller. BB knows what she is talking about here, I've gone through it. Have YOU used an Evenflo car seat on these strollers? It doesn't sound like it. What it sounds like to me is that you got lucky in the past with one particular stroller that just happened to work with another type of car seat. But it doesn't always work that easily. Get over yourself, drop this "holier-than-thou" attitude.

BB: Do what I did. Keep your old stroller/travel system, the Evenflo one, the one you used for Carson. Put new baby in a sling when you go out. Get one of those Little star slings or something. Then, even if Carson doesn't want to be in a stroller herself, you still have your hands free to hold her hand and chase after her in stores.

I'd then maybe look on Craigslist or Kijiji for a cheap used double jogging stroller. Something that you can take on trails and stuff to get some exercise.

But for day to day use, no, you don't need a double stroller travel system, or even one that accepts an Evenflo car seat.

Which baby stroller I should Buy ?




Nurlan


I want to buy a good quality baby traveling set stroller. what's You recommendations..


Answer
Well... my first recommendation is to study the negatives to using a car seat as a carrying device outside of the car (that's what I think of when you say traveling set.) First is if you keep a baby in a car seat for long periods of time or leave them to sleep in it they are more likely (especially in the first 4 months) to have oxygen deprivation (they recommend your baby sleep on a flat surface, and you don't have a choice while in a car, but you do in a stroller.) Second is the more you take it out of the car the more likely something is to happen to the car seat so it's less effective in an accident. Third, the weight of a car seat plus baby is ridiculously high.

So then consider strollers. There are many that lay flat. The only negative to most of the strollers (in America anyway) are that most face away from mom/dad. Studies have shown that parents are less likely to engage with their children when they can't see their faces, and babies are less likely to laugh, make eye contact, talk, etc in a stroller facing away from the parents (forward facing.) You can find them though, especially if you live in the UK Prams are not uncommon or that terribly expensive. But, so long as you take the time to talk to your children and spend time face to face with them when you can, then you can work around that negative of a stroller so long as you keep them laying flat until they're old enough to sit up.

Another option is to think outside the box. Consider a chest carrier, wrap or sling. The Ergo and Moby Wrap are my favorites. There have never been any studies showing an oxygen deprivation moment in these (or most other carrying devices, except the weird slings that curled them up that were recalled.) And so long as baby is facing you then they are getting the face to face contact, hearing you talk more often, you are more likely to talk more often, getting rid of the developmental delays that happen when they don't get that enough. The Ergo goes to 40lbs, but the Moby Wrap is an easy one to use especially in the first 6-12 months until they are a good sitter then you can get a more lightweight and easy to use stroller. And as far as traveling, wearing your baby is a lot easier on busses, in airports, in malls, anywhere really, as opposed to a stroller.

So strollers I recommend. For newborn up, you need a laying flat one. Chicco strollers ALL lay down flat and many Graco do now as well. The Graco Quattro Tour Deluxe lays flat and is compatible with their car seat, and all Chicco carseats fit in their strollers, so there ya go. Though I wouldn't use them like that, those are what I would recommend if you want to go with a set. I'd recommend personally buying the car seat nice and a bit more expensive and just getting a Chicco stroller used though since they are almost never recalled and that gives you a bit better car seat for your buck. For about 2 months up, the jogging strollers (though you can't jog until they're older) are my favorites as they are thin, easy to maneuver, and can go through anything (gravel, snow, sidewalks, sand, grass, etc.) The Baby Trend joggers are my favorites because they're simple and rarely have recalls. The baby Trend also make car seats that fit on the strollers, but I HATE their car seat fastener system so try it out before you invest in that.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment