Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Traveling by plane with car seat and stroller, any experiences?

baby travel systems amazon on Amazon.com: Graco Stylus Classic Connect LX Travel System, Winslet ...
baby travel systems amazon image



Ivan


Delta said we could check both at the gate (it's a travel system, the car seat sits on top of the stroller) but I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this; such as, is it a good idea to bring your own garbage bags to stuff it in so it doesn't get dirty or do they provide that? plus any other tips you can offer.
Thanks!



Answer
As a former Flight Attendant, I urge you to try to use your car seat onboard if possible. It is the only way to fly safely with the baby. It also guarentees that your carseat will not get lost or damaged in the hold.

First, check that your seat is FAA approved;
http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/
Most car seats in the U.S. are.

When you check-in, ask if you can get an empty seat to strap your carseat into. They usually heed this request since flying with babies can be tricky for everyone. We always made an effort to get families extras seats, car seat or not.

They do sell special bags for putting car seats in. I saw a bunch on Amazon or try specific baby supply sites like Albee, etc. I have used the big plastic bags that airlines have supplied. Another option is to use a duffle bag. I bought mine at a camping supply store. These are super sturdy and fold down nicely.

Just as a word of warning, if you do get to use the car seat onboard, be sure that he's strapped in for take-off and landing. There is no reason to remove a child from a car seat during these times. It's a myth that they need to suck during take-off and landing. It's a good idea at any time during ascent (after take-off, while reaching altitude) and the most critical point is at the top of descent. This is when passengers complained. Landing (when the plane touches down) is too late.

To really prevent ear problems, see the doctor before leaving. One of mine was very good at getting symptomless ear infections. Healthy ears can handle pressurization changes. I never do anything special on take-off and landing and none of them, including one with the "history", never had any problems. I rarely saw them in my 13 years in the air either.

Before handing the stroller over at the gate, remove all "extras", i.e. cup holders, toys, even the sunshade depending on the model (I put mine in the checked suitcase). Attach the straps. Bring a bungee cord and after folding it, double secure it so that it doesn't pop open en route and get damaged.

I've been flying with my three children since the oldest was 4 months old. I fly alone with my three (closely spaced) children between Europe and California about twice a year (am I insane?). We also do short hops in between including experiencing the joys of cut cost carriers.

When I saw some of the misinformation on the web on the subject of flying with children, I put an article I wrote a few years ago on a blog to share with others. Many parents have contributed as well. None have reported problems with strollers or car seats and I never saw any with work either.

I spent many hours going through safety and security training over a 10 year period with two companies before I had my first baby. For more information from someone who actually worked in the industry as well as flown many times with my own children, feel free to visit;
http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

Good luck getting the extra seat and have a great flight!

What kind of stroller do/did you have and do you like it?




~KGB~ Kait


I am getting new car and my travel system's stroller hardly fits in the trunk of my new car. I like to keep a stroller in my trunk, so the travel system will not work. I have a cheapo umbrella stroller that I do not like. I want a good travel system replacement.


Answer
Since your baby is almost 6 months, I would just get a convertible seat and buy a high quality umbrella stroller. I have the Chicco Liteway. http://www.amazon.com/Chicco-60886480070-Liteway-Stroller-Coventry/dp/B001OD53QI/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

It is the best stroller for many reasons. The only downfall is that it is 19 lbs. but it's not like you have to lift your baby in it or anything. Many of my friends have the MacClaren or the Peg Perego and we all agree that this is the best. The single front wheels make it so easy to turn in tight spaces with just one hand. The back reclines ALL the way flat for naps (it becomes like a travel bed) It is very high quality, folds up super small, nice colors, trendy looking.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment