Saturday, November 23, 2013

What's the best stroller? What do you think of prams?

baby travel systems bugaboo on Wholesale Pink Baby Travel System-Buy Pink Baby Travel System lots ...
baby travel systems bugaboo image



toma


Has anyone used an Everbright? It is a stroller that converts from pram-toddler stroller. I am thinking of ordering one, but not too sure about the quality. I am looking for a stroller that is affordable, under $200, and will last me a long time, one that a toddler can use too. Also, I am in Chicago, so I need something with nice big wheels and shocks. Any help would be great!!! Thanks!!!!!


Answer
I'm a stroller fanatic, and I'll admit I've splurged on my son's rides. (A Bugaboo Frog in '04; a Quinny Zapp in '05; and a humble, but functional Kolcraft umbrella in '07 - about $1500 total.)

Still, I don't think pricey necessarily is best. I think your best bet is always to think about your lifestyle, and how you'll get around with a baby on board.

Here are a few questions to ask:

1. Do you have to climb stairs? My sister's four-floor walk-up in Manhattan requires a very different stroller than my DC rowhome with a main level garage.

2. Do you ride mass transit? Buses present specific challenges; so do subway systems if there's no elevator service.

3. How much do you walk, and do you expect to grocery shop, etc., with your stroller? Remember that you may find yourself walking *more* post-baby because it's easier than hopping a bus OR just because babies need fresh air.

4. Do you use taxis or a car service? While most taxi drivers will turn a blind eye to a kiddo not in a car seat, in my experience, car services are sticklers. And with the laws changing all the time, what's true today might not be true in six months.

5. Do you drive? If you own a car, you need a car seat ... and that needs to factor into your decision, too.

What seems to be the most affordable course of action, especially for urban dwellers who still drive/take taxis/hop rides with Grandma from time-to-time is the following:

1. Buy an infant car seat - Graco's highly rated SnugRide retails for around $125, and the patterns are far more fashion-forward than ever before - I've included a link to their dashing Lotus colorway below.

2. Purchase a universal car seat frame. You clip the infant seat to the frame and go. New they retail for about $50 or $60; they also pop up on Craig's List and at baby consignment boutiques pretty steadily.

Combined, a frame weigh about 12 pounds, and a seat about 8 - so you have a 20 pound stroller. This is comparable to my Bugaboo Frog. So if you do have to lift your child while in the stroller (you'll discover lots of steps once you're a mum), it's not impossible.

Some of the Everbright models weigh almost twice that, and I can't imagine being able to lift a 35 pound stroller *plus* a 20 pound tot *plus* my diaper bag up and down those tricky spots.

3. When your kiddo is bigger - more than six months, but almost certainly before a year - buy a lightweight umbrella stroller. Even a Maclaren, which is the gold standard for umbrellas, retails their lightweight Volo for around $100, and my little Kolcraft cost all of $20. (Again, there's a link below.)

If you buy all three items new at full price, I guess you would spend about $250. (Though you wouldn't be buying the umbrella for at least a few months.) If you get the frame second-hand and shop the sales, I think you could do this for less than $200 easily.

Though, of course, you'll eventually need a toddler car seat ... but that would be an issue - and another $100 and up - in any case.

Now if you walk many miles, travel by car rarely and can rely on elevators for mass transit, then you have a different scenario. That's our life, and it's why we went with the Bugaboo Frog. A heavier stroller holds stuff - I've walked two gallons of paint back from Home Depot on my frog, and more groceries and library books than I care to remember.

In that case, the Everbright might be a good choice. It's certainly sharp looking. I haven't test driven one, but some product reviews mention that it doesn't corner well - that's often true of heavier strollers. Heavy cars, too - they're not built to be nimble.

As for the pram function, I quite liked it, but I didn't find it essential. In fact, a true pram isn't great in the city, because in some models, infants aren't restrained when they lie flat. This can lead to jostling. On the other hand, it's great to not have to put those little limbs into a five-point harness because it's a bit like strapping in a bag of flour and doesn't seem all that comfy. On balance, I liked my pram function, but mostly for strolls in the park. It wasn't practical. What was nice was that a true bassinet can be used for baby's naps - which is how we got the most mileage out of our Bugaboo in our son's first months.

What IS important if you want to buy just one stroller is that the seat fully recline so it is safe for a newborn. Even those that are safe for newborns, however, often leave the little darlings looking rather lost and floppy, so you might also buy a liner, like the Snuzzler (link below) for about $20.

In addition to the Everbright, you might want to look at strollers by Zooper. They intro a new color line every model year, so you can get good deals on their 2007 models right now. Most of their models are over the $200 mark, but a few are at or under your target.

My other hesitation with Everbright is that it's tricky to find replacement parts for some strollers. I'd check into the company before purchasing. The powerhouse Graco, of course, makes getting parts relatively easy, as do some of the higher end companies. But even Maclaren has been slagged for worries with their wheels and a limited number of service centers in the Midwest. (Though I'd guess Chicago has one.)

As for the big wheel issue, they are nice. But it's something of a toss-up. Our Quinny Zapp, bought for travel, does just fine on rough sidewalks because, despite its bitsy wheels, it is lightweight and very, very easy to steer. The Kolcraft is the pits, but then, I bought it for visiting my sister in her (ahem) penthouse and riding the NYC elevator-free subway system. It's worth sacrificing heavy duty wheels for something that won't break my back, or leave me without a hand for my toddler.

So ... it depends. But I'm not sold on the Everbright, though it is a very handsome pushchair.

What pushchair to go for?




Lovestruck


I'm 19 weeks pregnant and were looking to go pram shopping over Christmas as there might be sales on. I'm looking at the bugaboo chameleon and the silver cross surf. My bf and me are willing to pay for the chameleon but we want it to last a few years. Our other option is to buy the surf a lot cheaper and buy another pushchair in a year or two. How long did you use your chameleon for? It is the travel system that appeals to both of us.


Answer
my daughter had 6 strollers in her 4 years of life,lol

ok 1st one she had travel sistem,i hated because it wasn't nice,all mothers around seems to me they have same and was so bored.Also when my daughter was 14 months it was hard for me to push her in so i sold travel sistem then i got for heumbrellala stroller for $30
Couple months later i hate it,it was very bad for me to push her and was small for her
So then i got for her cheaper umbrella -$20 and so she use it for a year.
When she was around 3 ,umbrella was so dirty and could notot wash it so i trow it in the garbage.
My daughter was seems not good walker and she loved just sit in the stroller so i got her new umbrella but few months later it broke.
6 months b4 her 4tbirthdayay i got for her PERAL stroller for kids from birth to 5 years old.I got this one,because we planning to have baby#2 and so this one will last for 4-5 years and it was on sale so was cheaper than even we were ready to put on
I just want to add also that my daughter hd also huge stroller at home special for rocking her and for naps (shcouldn'tnt sleep without it and was g8 for 3 years )

If u r looking for good stroller,choose the one which will hold your child not for 1 year but for atleast 4




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment