Saturday, April 26, 2014

Travel system? Stroller? Car seat? Convertable car seat??? Help!?

Q. My husband and I are overwhelmed with choices. We are both graduate students and expecting our first baby in August. We need a stroller and we need a car seat, but we are puzzled. Is the travel system a must have item? Can we just buy a stroller and a convertable car seat? Do we have to bring a car seat in the hospital when the baby is born? Then, does it have to be a car seat for babies or we can use a convertable car seat? I hope I'm making sense. :) Thank you so much for your help!!!


Answer
First off let me say go with GRACO no matter which type of carseat u choose!!! They have a great selection, super safety ratings, and nice prices!

I always had the infant seats for my babies because u can take them out and into stores or any other place u need to go. U can set them down and have both hands free, plus u can move the baby without waking them! As far as travel systems you can get the set if u really like the pattern and save a little money too. U dnt have to buy a travel system though just get a car seat now cause u DO need one to leave the hospital (convertable or infant it dsnt matter). U can always get a stroller later.

Convertable car seats are nice but just don't offer the versitility that the infant seats do, plus when u take the baby out of the car you'll have to hold her because u have no where to set her. U can use the infant seats on store carts but their not the cleanest and sometimes the don't even have them! U could get the infant carrier and use it until the babys around 10 or 11 months then switch to a convertable one, just make sure u keep it facing the rear until ur little one is a year old.

Good luck with ur new baby!!! If go to gracobaby.com ull find all the info that u need, that's where I got mine!

Are travel systems worth the money?

Q. I am due April 3rd, with my first child. I do not go out often now. I doubt that I'll go out more after the baby is born... :) Anyway, I was wondering if the travel systems are worth it, or if there's something else that would be better. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks!


Answer
You'll need a car seat and a stroller, but if you're going to spend the money, just get a really good car seat that will last. Get a Britax Marathon or a Sunshine Kids Radian 65 or 80. These will hold your child in the rear facing position (safest position) in a 5 pt harness (safest harness on the market) until 33 or 35 lbs, respectively. Then, it flips around to be a forward facing seat using a 5 pt harness until 65 or 80 lbs respectively. It'll save you a lot of hassle in the long run and you'll only need to purchase 1 seat for your child instead of 3.
Infant--Graco Snugride $80
Convertible: Graco Comfort Sport- $80
Booster--Graco Turbo Booster-$40

So, that is 200 dollars for seats that are not top of the line and top safety rated. In fact, boosters do little to save your child in a crash, yet kids as young as 3 yrs and 30 lbs are approved in many states to use them. You couldn't pay me to put a 3 yr old in one.

1 convertible for 65-80 lbs
Marathon: $270
Radian 80-$280
Both get top safety ratings and are the best on the market

I don't tend to like Graco or Evenflo strollers or car seats. Plenty of moms will say to buy Graco because they get good safety ratings, so I'll probably get a thumbs down. I will agree, that they do get good safety ratings for their price bracket. However, if safety is important, it's worth it to spend some extra money to insure your child's safety. In terms of car seat purchases and being safest here is the breakdown of brands from lowest quality to highest:
Safety 1st
Cosco (Jeep is Cosco)
Evenflo
Graco
Baby Trend
Chicco
Peg Perego
Mia Moda
Britax
The above is for infant seats.

Evenflo and Graco strollers tend to be squeaky and bulky. They have a lot of perks like cupholders, snack holders, big storage baskets, and if that's important to you, then go with one. Personally, I like strollers that are lightweight and easy to push. I love the Skate and Pilko by Peg Perego, the Britax Vigour looks amazing--I've never used it, although people who do use it swear by it.

I have never found moving a baby from car to stroller to be a major issue, as the car seats don't really get a lot of air flow through the plastic, so if it's summer and hot outside, your baby will be sweating like crazy if sitting in a car seat in a stroller. I'd rather have the baby be more comfy in the stroller. If you want stroller suggestions, feel free to email me!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment