Friday, December 27, 2013

What is the best car seat to buy?

baby travel systems consumer reports on Dorel Juvenile Group to Recall 450,000 Infant Car Seat/Carriers Due To ...
baby travel systems consumer reports image



Kayla Tuck


I am expecting my first baby in November and I have no idea on what car seat to buy. All of the different brands, styles and safety features are mind boggling. What is the safest and most comfortable car seat to buy that doesn't cost a fortune? Is it better to buy the travel system or just wait to get a stroller until she can sit up by herself? Is a convertible car seat as comfortable for a newborn as an infant car seat is? What car seat did you or do you have?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you :)



Answer
According to consumer reports, the best car seat for crashes is the Britax Chaperone. I bought that for my son because of that reason. He loves it, he always sleeps in it and even at 10 1/2 months in the 77th percentile for weight and the 87th percentile for height he is comfortable and still fits in it. It also says in the consumer reports that it is safer to buy an infant seat when your child is small, plus they are so convenient. I didn't buy the matching stroller because it was too much, I bought a Jeep Liberty Sport for my son (the car seat fits in it) and we both love it! You will also want to look into a "bundle me" to put on the car seat to keep your little one warm. My husband and I agree, besides the necessities, that was the best gift we received! I love the britax chaperone so much, we bought him a britax convertible seat for when he grows out of his infant seat.

Is there any travel system that comes included with the car seat and a double stroller?




Kathy


I am looking for a double stroller that comes with the infant car seats included. If you know of any please let me know. You can email me.
maria_mejia_4@yahoo.com
Thank you I really appreciate it.



Answer
I don't know of any double stroller that comes with a carseat. If there is one it's probably made by Graco.

Of course, there are many double strollers that accept infant carriers. My favorite is the Chicco Cortina Together double stroller ($300). It is light-weight for a double, folds up almost as small as the single Cortina, and uses the Chicco Keyfit, which is currently Consumer Reports #1 ranked infant carrier.

A less expensive option would be the Baby Trend Sit n' Stand stroller ($129-189). The $189 version has two complete seats, as the older child is ready, the back seat turns into a bench type seat. The child can sit and face you, or stand on a small platfrom and face forward. The less expensive models have a full front seat and the bench style seat in the back. These can accept a Baby Trend, as well as many other brands. I'm not a big fan of Baby Trend Infant carriers because of complaints I have heard from our guests, so I would probably use a Graco Snugride with this stroller.

Graco makes a few double strollers, the lightest and least expensive one is the Graco DuoGlider LX Stroller - Pippin ($149). Only Graco infant carriers will work with this system. The Graco snugride is my second favorite carrier behind the Chicco.

If you want to go a little higher end look at the Phil and Teds ($480 - 700) you can buy adapters for the Graco Snugride, the Peg Primo Viaggio, and the Chicco keyfit for $35.

The best feedback I get for the higher end double strollers is for the Bob ($485-500). I have never had someone who owned this stroller have a complaint about it. You can buy car seat adapters for $89.

Hope this helps, please feel free to contact me with any questions,

Alan




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

1 comment:

  1. I would recommend my profile is important to me, I invite you to discuss this topic... best convertible car seat for 2 door car

    ReplyDelete