Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What was/is your fav. travel system?




LuLu


Why do you love it?
Would you buy it again? why or why not?
Trying to pick! Too many options with too many pros or cons!



Answer
Well... I hate the Graco one. So I'd never do a Graco one again. The wheels on the strollers are too small and the strollers are monstrously huge, can't fit them in a trunk, can't maneuver them. Yuck.

Now I haven't pushed the Chicco stroller around. But that travel system would be tempting if I was getting one again. The stroller lays completely down, fully down and the foot-rest goes up, so that it's like a pram. That's good for a newborn (you don't want them sitting in the car seat in the stroller, even if it's made like that. It's not good for their breathing. They should lay flat until 6 months if possible, or be reclined so far back that their chin does not rest on their chest.) The Chicco car seat is a high quality and highly tested. So even though I wouldn't use them together (baby shouldn't ride in a car seat except when riding in a car... again that breathing thing) they would be a good deal to get together. Also because the stroller can lay completely flat and the feet rest go up you can use it around the house like a bassinet. :) Multitaskers are wonderful things.

The other would be the Baby Trend jogging stroller + car seat combo. Again, the car seat is highly recommended (though I hate the fasteners. If you try them out you'll see what I mean. Every other car seat you can clip in one side and then the other, with that one you have to clip them at the same time and it's just a pain.) And I love our Baby Trend jogging stroller. They lay down far enough to be appropriate for a 2 month old (in the meantime, use a baby-chest carrier) so long as you don't run with them. They have an H harness, cup holders, and I really like the big wheels. You can go over cracks, in sand, up and down curbs, and it's not a problem. Some people talk about how bulky they can be, but you can take the back wheels off without much difficulty and then they fit in any trunk we've tried it in.

Add: Because the Metrolite is NOT the standard Graco travel system stroller. The "lite" part of the name is a big part of how it's not standard Graco. It folds down further, weighs less, and is considered maneuverable by comparison to other Graco strollers, however it's still an awkward large size. Also, the Metrolite has a history of wearing out sooner and still is only really good on smooth sidewalks/stores, not as good walking to the park. If you use it in stores and smooth sidewalks (not what I have around my house...) then it may last years.

But for me, the things that I like most in a stroller are 1) can be used from birth up (and I don't mean with the car seat since again they shouldn't ride in car seats except when riding in the car but a full recline) and 2) big wheels to work with cracks in the sidewalks. The Graco strollers I've tried hit some of the cracks in my area and stop... sometimes very hard, sending the little one into the buckle. It actually hurt my daughter more than once just walking on sidewalks where I live and most parents walk in the street to avoid the cracks rather than deal with it. To me, that's just not safe.

And note. Baby Trend and Chicco are very respected baby-brand-names in themselves, if brand names are what you look for.

Are travel systems worth the money?

Q. I am due April 3rd, with my first child. I do not go out often now. I doubt that I'll go out more after the baby is born... :) Anyway, I was wondering if the travel systems are worth it, or if there's something else that would be better. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks!


Answer
You'll need a car seat and a stroller, but if you're going to spend the money, just get a really good car seat that will last. Get a Britax Marathon or a Sunshine Kids Radian 65 or 80. These will hold your child in the rear facing position (safest position) in a 5 pt harness (safest harness on the market) until 33 or 35 lbs, respectively. Then, it flips around to be a forward facing seat using a 5 pt harness until 65 or 80 lbs respectively. It'll save you a lot of hassle in the long run and you'll only need to purchase 1 seat for your child instead of 3.
Infant--Graco Snugride $80
Convertible: Graco Comfort Sport- $80
Booster--Graco Turbo Booster-$40

So, that is 200 dollars for seats that are not top of the line and top safety rated. In fact, boosters do little to save your child in a crash, yet kids as young as 3 yrs and 30 lbs are approved in many states to use them. You couldn't pay me to put a 3 yr old in one.

1 convertible for 65-80 lbs
Marathon: $270
Radian 80-$280
Both get top safety ratings and are the best on the market

I don't tend to like Graco or Evenflo strollers or car seats. Plenty of moms will say to buy Graco because they get good safety ratings, so I'll probably get a thumbs down. I will agree, that they do get good safety ratings for their price bracket. However, if safety is important, it's worth it to spend some extra money to insure your child's safety. In terms of car seat purchases and being safest here is the breakdown of brands from lowest quality to highest:
Safety 1st
Cosco (Jeep is Cosco)
Evenflo
Graco
Baby Trend
Chicco
Peg Perego
Mia Moda
Britax
The above is for infant seats.

Evenflo and Graco strollers tend to be squeaky and bulky. They have a lot of perks like cupholders, snack holders, big storage baskets, and if that's important to you, then go with one. Personally, I like strollers that are lightweight and easy to push. I love the Skate and Pilko by Peg Perego, the Britax Vigour looks amazing--I've never used it, although people who do use it swear by it.

I have never found moving a baby from car to stroller to be a major issue, as the car seats don't really get a lot of air flow through the plastic, so if it's summer and hot outside, your baby will be sweating like crazy if sitting in a car seat in a stroller. I'd rather have the baby be more comfy in the stroller. If you want stroller suggestions, feel free to email me!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment