Monday, August 26, 2013

cribs car seasts, strollers, what should I buy first?

baby travel systems buying guide on NH Cops Use Wiretapping Laws to Crackdown on Citizens Who Videotape ...
baby travel systems buying guide image



dayi d


I am pregnant with my first baby. Not only are we delivering in 2 months, but we are also in the process of moving. So I have to start getting ready and little by little buy the main essentials. But what should I buy first/ What are the number one priorities?


Answer
I would definitely go with the car seat first, but if you're in the position, get the travel system that has the car seat and stroller together. If you haven't decided on a crib or what kind (the possibilities are endless), you could always get your pack-n-play and keep that on hand in case your baby comes early. I went to get my crib and found out I had to order it and it took two weeks-and I was two weeks early. Plus the first month I had my newborn in the room with me in her pack-n-play and then moved her to her crib. Some people don't move their baby into the crib for months! You can also travel with a pack-in-play or now they have mobile minicribs that look just like the standard size but smaller and less expensive. You can roll it all over the house and then break it down and throw it in the trunk if you travel. I hope this is helpful! Congrats on your new baby!

Also-I ordered my crib online from a store that has a huge selection of cribs and a guide to help you find which one is best for your baby. At the time they had free shipping-and probably still do!
simplybabyfurntiure.com

What was your baby checklist?




Kayla


what items where useful and what was a waste of money ??
How long do newborns stay in newborn colthes!?
This is my frist baby and due date is nov 30th.
Thank u



Answer
OMG - I am meaning to go to bed but I just HAD to respond bc my daughter was born on 11/30. Congrats first of all!!!

Heres my tips - dont buy ANY newborn (NB) sized clothes. They will last you a week, IF they ever fit. Go ahead and buy size 1 right from the get go. Same goes for diapers - size 1 will only last you a few weeks, so dont go nuts buying 8 boxes of em at Costco. Other clothing ideas - until baby is 6 mos old, dont even bother with "cute" - look only for comfortable. You will be terrified to put anything over babys head in the beginning to just make sure the necks are loose and stretchy. No buttons/snaps on the back of anything - baby wont like sleeping on them and baby sleeps on his/her back - always. You dont want anything that will irritate babys skin either (some fabrics will cause rashes) - just go with cotton, footed, long sleeve, zip up the front "rompers" as I call them.

Now as far as baby gear goes - Im an absolute expert. Honey, I was put on bedrest at 6 mos and did nothing but shop on line for 3mos. I bought so much crap you would not believe. Guess what, MOST of it I never used (roll eyes). Looking back, I could have a stroke over all the money I wasted. So that said, let me whip up a quick list of must haves and have nots:

Loved It
--------------------------------------

A nice digital camera

Youll need something really warm to come home in - I had a really fluffy snowsuit and hat

Fisher price "Lamb Seat" - baby slept in this really plush bouncy chair, keeping her elevated - less spit up and bc she was strapped in, no rolling over/SIDS scare

Diaper Genie

Exersaucer

Swaddlers with the velcro (worth gold!!!)

Several cotton rompers - no need for anything else, not in the beginning. Itll be too cold for onsies and too difficult to dress baby in jeans and sweaters

Playtex even flow bottles with the large nipples (at 6mos I introduced some formula and these bottles felt like breasts to her so she went back and forth with no problem, plus they dont leak - LOTS of others leak and formula stinks and stains everything - yuck!

Didnt Need It
--------------------------------
Bumbo Seat
Walker (this was a gift, but heads up, these are now regarded as bad for baby)
Make ur own baby food gear
Pack N Play
Changing Station
Fancy bedding for the crib - they recommend you dont use the bumper anyhow and thats the cute part - may as well just buy a regular fitted sheet. Youre not allowed to toss a comforter in the crib with baby, so basically, all the bedding you buy - you cant use.
Dont get caught up in "cute" - EVERYTHING is cute when its small, but you dont need it all
I bought a monitor with a tv so I could watch baby sleep. Never used it, baby was always sleeping in a place I could see her.
Used the high chair only a few times - mostly fed baby on my lap and then before I knew it, she was sitting at the table. I recommend a booster seat that grows with baby - money and space saver!
Stuffed animals and toys - not yet
Special mat for tummy time

Now this is up to you - as far as traveling goes - there are convertible seats out there that you can use for a newborn (rear facing of course). This means you dont NEED to purchase one of thoes infant carriers that lock into the car and you dont need the matching stroller either. I bought the carrier and the travel system stroller. Baby outgrew it rather quickly, so I purchased a convertible (mines Recaro and I LOVE it!!!) that was appropriate for newborns all the way up to 7 years of age and I also bought an umbrella stroller (Maclaren - check them out, great brand!!) that is for newborns all the way up as well. If I knew then what I know now, I woulda saved myself 450 on the other two and never purchased them. You live and learn.

Congrats and Good Luck Momma!!! Hope this helps a bit

PS - Theres a book called "Girlfriends Guide to Baby Gear" and its REALLY good. See if you can get ur hands on a copy.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment