Thursday, December 5, 2013

Jogging stroller versus travel system – pros and cons, & what about hiking?

baby travel systems all terrain on Jane Powertrack 360 Travel System All Terrain Buggy Pushchair | eBay
baby travel systems all terrain image



Woodland H


Iâm thinking of getting a jogging stroller to use on our local hiking trails here. Has anyone ever hiked on trails using a jogging stroller? Or is it just meant for dirt roads & that type of terrain? What is it like hiking? Oh also, do jogging strollers come w/ the infant car seat? Does the basket underneath have ample storage compared to a travel system stroller?

What else are the pros & cons of jogger vs travel system? TIA!



Answer
Our Jogging Stroller turns by lifting the front wheel, which is a hassle to use for strolling around town, so we've got a variety of different types of strollers. I've used the jogging stroller on trails and mostly mulit-use paths (paved and dirts paths for biking and walking), never used it for hiking back country and while it's easier to push, I would think it would be unstable for hiking purposes (if the trails are bumpy and have obstacles).

The jogging stroller really isn't great for babies that aren't sitting up yet, it doesn't come with a special infant seat and we much preferred a standard stroller when our little guy was an infant (he could recline and sleep, plus the shade bonnet was bigger to protect him from the sun.

We opted not to get a Travel System, and it's worked out great. We've never had a problem with getting the baby in and out of the carseat to the stroller, and it's less gear to carry around. Car seats are in the cars permanently and we only used our infant seat carseat in shopping carts for a few months.

All in all, the jogging stroller is not getting used much at all, I prefer using the Kolcraft Contours stroller for our little guy. I suggest you visit some stores and see the different types personally, then shop on line to maybe save some money.

Hope this helps!
Best Wishes!

Maclaren twin triumph stroller for a newborn?




Emmy's mum


I have been given a Maclaren twin triumph stroller. I am due in february when my daughter will be 21 months old. I'm wondering if it will be suitable for my newborn? I know it does fully recline and is meant to take a newborn safely, but on the practical side, how is the newborn strapped in? Is there any kind of carrycot that fits into it? Would it be comfortable?


Answer
My best friend got pregnant a few months back so I had been in charge of certain things since then, and one of them is being the Pushchair shopper. So being the geek that I am I did a full research of the best pushchairs - so much so that I swear Pushchair companies can now hire me as an infomercial host and I'll do really well! lol

Anyway, to answer your question my dear, as a matter of fact the Maclaren Triumph is NOT suitable for newborns. It can recline to more than 150 degrees, but it's only suitable from 3 months onwards according to the manufacturer, but I personally inspected the pushchair and I wouldn't put a child in there who couldn't sit up properly on their own just yet. Don't get me wrong - I think the Triumph is one of the best strollers around, but it's best for children from 6 months onwards in my opinion.

The Maclaren Triumph is a lightweight stroller, NOT a travel system, hence no carrycots will fit with it. If you want a pushchair that you can use from birth up until your baby is 3 or 4 years old, your best bet is to buy a pushchair that you can convert into a pram/stroller and travel system.

The most popular models that fulfill this criteria that are also getting great reviews from parents are:
Maclaren Techno XLR Travel System
Graco Quattro Tour TSB
Silver Cross 3D Pram System

There are loads more, but it's hard to make recommendations with the information you gave. There really are a lot you need to consider before buying a pushchair, as making the wrong purchasing decision could be a costly mistake that you'll end up doing over and over again until you get it right! (I know other parents who bought more than 3 pushchairs within 2 years!)

For example, you need to check if the handle height is suitable for you, if it's small enough to fit in your boot, if the wheels are suitable for the terrains you'll be using it in, if the seats are washable and easy to clean, if it's easy to fold/unfold with one hand, if it's easy to use for public transport, if the shopping basket is big enough for your needs and if it's accessible, etc.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment