Monday, May 12, 2014

What Infant System Is Better, Britax or Orbit?




ddti


and WHY??
not travel lol :) Orbit Infant System- suppose to be one of the top brands but Very pricey!



Answer
Both Britax and Orbit infant systems encourage you to leave the baby in the car seat while in the stroller, which doesn't lay them flat. The Orbit infant car seat only goes to 22lbs, and I can tell you there are many babies who grow out of that in the first year which is fine if you're willing to buy a new car seat at that point but if you want to use it for the full first year you might want to consider something else. And the Orbit stroller isn't a real stroller... and I'm not sure about a car-seat base that swivels out. To me... that seems like another moving part to malfunction.

The Britax stroller works for 55lbs which is better at least. It also lays back pretty far, which is much better for the baby's breathing if you take them out of the car-seat to let them sleep there. The car seat goes to 30lbs, which is very good. Honestly, you seem to get more bang for your buck with the Britax system.

Personally, I like the Chicco travel system since the stroller lays fully back and the car seat is one of the highest rated for safety. But even the Chicco car seat only goes to 30lbs, so really I think the Britax is the better of the two you gave.

Uppababy Vista stroller vs Orbit Infant Travel System?




...


I'm still early in my pregnancy but I've decided to start researching strollers now after seeing the enormous variation in styles and prices. I never would have imagined myself spending $900 on a stroller.

I'm not interested in hearing about other strollers or cheaper strollers (I know someone is CERTAIN to say they got a $10 umbrella stroller that's just fantastic), just wondering about mothers' experiences with either of these strollers.

I'm concerned that the Orbit infant car seat is only rated up to 22 lbs (same as the bassinet) , so it won't be long before having to upgrade to the pricey toddler car seat and toddler stroller seat. By the way, can the toddler carseat not be used as a stroller seat, or vice versa?

The thing I like about the Uppababy vista is that the stroller seat is rated to 40 or 50 lbs and the bassinet is included in the lower price. However, the stroller seat is not a carseat and I don't believe there is an uppababy version of a carseat. I suppose I would have to find a compatible carseat that fits into the base. I also like that their tyres don't go flat and the product is made out of lightweight aluminum in the USA.

Any thoughts on using these products? I'd really appreciate some input.
Thank you!
Elyse's mama- I have read some undesirable reviews about the chameleon- namely that it was cumbersome to fold away and that the tyres had to be pumped up periodically. I'm surprised they have not solved that problem yet.
Excellent advice, thank you!
I'm still partial to the idea of being able to move a baby from the car to a stroller without doing all the unbuckling but I guess I haven't given it enough thought. The fewer pieces I have to purchase at various times, the better, which is why I was disappointed that the orbit system had such low weight ratings.
capeko- funny you should mention it- I actually go to Rockland fairly often, I had no idea it was based there!. I have been nagging my husband to go this year but I'm not sure I could stay away from the lobster rolls (I'm trying to be good but not sure if I really need to)
oops, just realised they're in rockland, mass, not maine ;-)



Answer
Coming from someone who spent $850 on a stroller - don't do it. I didn't really start using it until just recently (she's 16 months) because my daughter and I both preferred to use a sling or wrap. Even now she really doesn't like to be confined to a stroller but still loves riding in the sling or just walking on her own...

Both of those strollers you mentioned are quite cumbersome. Once you get all of the accessories for the Orbit (extra toddler seats, etc) it costs way more than $900. Yes, the toddler seat can be used as a car seat and stroller seat but those are extra things you need to buy. The uppababy is cheaper but is quite heavy - go to the stores and test both out before you make any decision.

If you are set on buying a stroller and getting an expensive one than get a bugaboo or a maclaren. Neither have a car seat but do you really want to buy your carseat from a manufacturer who specializes in strollers and baby furniture? Out of maclaren and bugaboo maclaren is better because they fold up nicer and are very light. Bugaboo has two separate pieces and I still don't know how to fold the stupid thing.

I also suggest not getting an infant car seat - start with a convertible car seat, rear facing, one that lasts until 45-60 lbs. If I could do it all over again I would have only bought our convertible car seat and bought a maclaren (or similar umbrella stroller) that can be used after about 6 months. Prior to six month it is much easier to just pop baby in sling and go.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment