Thursday, June 5, 2014

What is the best baby travel system for the price?




Laura H


I don't want to buy the best of the best but I don't want to buy a piece of crap either. I have decided not to buy graco because it seems like they are having a lot of call backs on their products which doesn't make me feel comfortable buying them. I am a person who buy's for quality. So lets here some reviews/opinions on the systems you have all bought?


Answer
Travel systems seem like they're just designed to trap first-time parents. I don't know many parents still using theirs by the time they have a second child. And I know SO MANY parents who buy the travel system at first but then end up gradually accumulating more different strollers and carriers and things because the first one didn't really meet all their needs. We never bought such a thing because we sat down and really thought about all our needs and what we would realistically use. So in the end, we didn't get a "system" at all.

We got a fully convertible seat rated and tested even for newborns, and we got the appropriate official inserts for him to use it as a newborn. Never messed with an infant carseat at all. For a stroller, we picked one that folds up easily like an umbrella style stroller but is a little more durably built and also allows to lay back almost completely flat or sit up all the way. And for runnings errands and other general uses, we got a wrap carrier.

Even if you still think you want a travel system, here's the main thing that's bad about them and about infant carseats in general:

It's really convenient and easy for the parents to just leave their baby in the carseat. Yet, based on research about how oxygen saturation drops while in the carseat even in healthy babies without known respiratory problems, it is NOT recommended to leave babies in carseats for longer than is strictly necessary. No more than 2 hours a day and preferably not all in a row is what's currently recommended. Of course we all have to go on car trips sometimes. But the point is that you should be making it a point to get the baby OUT of the carseat as fast as possible, not looking for ways to make it easier to just leave baby in the carseat longer. Furthermore, when you run errands into a store, you should also know that you are NOT supposed to put your infant carseat on the top of the shopping cart. Says so right on most of the carts as well as in many carseat handbooks or online guidelines. What you're supposed to do is put the carseat down in the main basket area of the cart... which completely takes up most of the room for getting your groceries. That's another vote for a baby-wearing carrier of some sort INSTEAD in my book.

Was it slightly more inconvenient to have to unstrap and lift out my newborn and move him into a wrap carrier on me every time I stopped to run into a store? Sure, I guess. But for one thing, I never have used an infant carseat so I don't know how "easy" those are anyway. (They look bulky and awkward to drag around to me, though.) And for another thing, babies just aren't convenient. To a certain extent, we parents need to get over this notion of making babies as easy to deal with as we can and realize that sometimes, we have to do what's best or safest or healthiest even when it's not convenient.


Just some food for thought. I know I didn't help you at all with what you actually asked for (brands for a travel system). But I really do think it's worth considering again why you think you even need a travel system.

Best Travel System for Baby?




hanna


Which travel system do you recommend? Do you like the one you have? Why, why not? Thank you.


Answer
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2864796

I looked at Target, Walmart, Babies R Us, and Baby Depot (Burington Coat Factory) and this is the only one I found that I liked. Bad thing was that I had to buy it online, it wasn't in the Babies R Us store that I'm by, so instead of it being $160, it was $200 with shipping and handling. But it came very fast, it was expected 7-10 business days, got it in 5 business days.

It is very good quality-the fabric is definitely not cheap looking. The infant car seat shade is kind of small (short), but oh well. The stroller is bulky, but I think I would get that with any travel system. They are big units.

I highly suggest it.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment