Friday, November 1, 2013

I'm looking for a 3-wheeled stroller?

baby trend travel system expedition on Baby Trend Expedition LX Swivel Jogging Stroller Baby Travel System ...
baby trend travel system expedition image



Danni


My husband and I are looking to get a 3-wheeled stroller, but there are so many out there I don't know which to go with. I was hoping someone owning a 3-wheeled stroller could help me out? I've looked at different makes/brands but these reviews are driving me nuts!
So, if you own one...
What brand do you have? Do you like it? Would you recommend it to others? I love the travel systems, but I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be one. Some brands I'm looking into so far are: Mia Moda Energi stroller, BabyTrend Expedition Travel System, Graco Trekko, and also the Jeep 3-wheeled stroller.
Is anybody able to weigh in with their opinions?



Answer
I would recommend going to a store like babies-r-us and trying some out. We have a Baby Trend and honestly I do like it. But I don't recommend a jogging stroller until they're 6 months up. As far as I know, there isn't a 3 wheeled stroller that lays flat, and newborns need that. It's also not good to rely on the car seat because the slope that they're kept at can interfere with breathing (SIDS recommendations are to keep the baby sleeping on a flat surface.) My favorite combo? A nice ergonomic carrier (like the Ergo or Moby-Wrap) for the first 6 months, then a nice 3-wheeled stroller with off-road capabilities once they're able to sit up. :) I did that with my son, pushing his sister in the stroller, and it was WONDERFUL, they're so little and snuggly against you at that age there's no reason to need a travel system or even use a stroller for them. And biologically they want to see your face and snuggle up by you, not be in a stroller, until they're able to physically start exploring a bit then they seem to like a stroller more.

It also sort of depends what you're using it for. If you're jogging with your stroller, then the Baby Trend isn't a good one because the front-wheel is loose or you can lock it in place, so for serious joggers that front wheel tends to come loose with time and wobble, not good. If you're going off-road though, then I prefer one like the Baby Trend because you can leave the front wheel so it turns and it's not hard to control, also the wheels are bike-wheels so you can get all-terrain bike wheels or just carry a bike-repair kit and if you get a flat then it's not hard to fix. If you're wanting city-type living, one handed folding, etc, then one like the Britax B-Agile will work, with smaller wheels.

I have never liked the Jeep 3 wheeler, every one I tried just didn't work for us. I like my Baby Trend because of the big wheels and how easy they are to fix, but don't like how it's not really great for jogging, still we use ours mostly off-roading. In stores, the long profile can get in the way, but the narrow width makes it so that anywhere I can walk through comfortably, the stroller easily fits.

So really it all depends on what you want it for. If you want it for jogging and exercise, get a real jogger with a fixed front wheel. If you want it for city, then the big wheels and long profile can get in the way on buses and in stores, the smaller wheeled varieties will serve you better. If you want it off-road (sand, big curbs, trails, rocks, etc), the big wheels and turning front wheel capabilities are far better. If you plan on having more kids, consider things like the Britax B-Ready (ridiculously expensive, but you can find other brands that do the same thing) where there's 4 wheels, but very maneuverable and able to be adjusted for a flat pram-like bed or 2 kids riding in it.

What is the one item you just had to have or that everyone told you you had to have?




anon


That, in retrospect was a waste of money and space?

And, also, what was the one item people told you was a waste of money that you got anyways and was the best purchase you made for the baby?

For me: Worst: Tie between the diaper genie and the wipes warmer. Never could get the DG to work right and all the warmer did was dry out the wipes. Quit using them both by the time my first was 2 weeks old.

Best: The Ergo baby carrier. It was only $150 and we have gotten so much use out of it. I only wish I'd bought it before baby #3 (and last baby). But, as it is rated to 45 pounds and my kids grow slowly, I can see getting more years of use out of it.



Answer
Worst: Travel system. "Everyone needs one" "you'll LOVE it!" etc. The stroller stank, it was wide and it didn't go well through grass, gravel, sand... it even locked up once when we hit a pebble. A PEBBLE??? It hardly fit in our car with the car seat, so it was pointless to put the car seat on it. The car seat was uncomfortable, a back breaker, and only went to 20lbs. Ugh. The whole thing was not worth the cost at all.

Best: Same as you, Ergo. :P I got one because I had read many great reviews and had decided to carry my second around so we could use our wonderful jogging stroller longer. We put my daughter (3 and is 26lbs) in it and were surprised that it was comfortable (for her and us.) It cost $150 for him because we had to have the infant insert and all, but he loves it. We got a second one recently because of her also wanting to ride in it on walks (so Daddy wears one and I wear one...) and paid $70 on babysteals (they have Ergos now and then there, so if you're willing to watch for like 3-5 months you can usually get one 1/2 the price.) So we have the Sport and an Organic cotton one, and I love them both, I've gotten so many compliments on them. :)

Second best: jogging stroller. "Oh, you don't need that..." "a good stroller is this or that one, you don't want a 3 wheeled one." We got the Baby Trend Expedition (fairly cheap) and I love it. It's not any wider than I was pregnant, so it's easy to figure out where it will go through and where it won't. It goes through sand, dirt, grass, snow and ice... :) I love it! It's light, easy to maneuver, and works really well. No one else in my family ever used a jogging stroller and in my neighborhood I got a lot of strange looks about or weird stroller, but I love it!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment