Monday, May 19, 2014

Would you recommend the Chicco Cortina Travel System (stroller/car seat)?




Linds


Why or why not? Thank you!


Answer
i bought the keyfit 30 infant seat and the chicco trevi. i wanted a lightweight stroller because we travel a lot and didnt want a big bulky stroller. the cortina is a fullsize stroller that has nice features but the trevi works better for us. i love the keyfit 30. it only fits in shopping carts at one store so i started to sling the baby when i go grocery shopping. it is easier than having a bunch of people oohing and ahhing over my baby while i try to grocery shop anyway. ive had a graco travel system before and i liked it but that was 10 years ago. the chicco is really nice and i loved the extreme pattern. i also have the chicco play yard. what ive learned in baby products is you get what you pay for. the chicco line is top rated.

Best infant car seat brand/travel system?

Q. I'm thinking graco and already have graco travel system but just wondering if I made the wrong choice this is my 1st child and have no experience with car seats. Should I get a convertible?


Answer
The Gracy Snugride 35 actually was rated one of the best infant seats on the market. The Snugride that goes from 20-22lbs actually are fine as well. The problem tends to be that babies outgrow them before 2 years old, and the tests say that a baby should rear-face to 2-4 years old (4 years old according to most of the research.) Now if your car seats are already in use, then I'd say just keep using them. They're safe, but you'll probably have to buy a new one in 6-8 months. A convertible gives you the ability of using the seat hopefully for the next 6 years and keeping them rear-facing longer (also after 6 months, when the baby is sitting up, they're more comfortable.)

I don't like travel systems as much because the strollers packaged with them tend to be heavy and hard to push. Plus, SIDS recommendations are that your baby sleeps on a flat surface not at a tilt. Car seats basically are the best place for a baby in the car, but when you take them out of the car you shouldn't keep them in a car seat. So a stroller that lays flat, or a chest carrier/sling you can use is safer for the baby to be in. And remember that an infant seat cannot sit on a shopping cart. Shopping carts (and car seats) are NOT made for that. Also, when you take an infant seat out it increases the weight of your baby by whatever the seat weighs, 20lbs sometimes, and it can really hurt your back hauling a bucket around like that. After your baby is 4-6 months old you can get a stroller that sits them up more safely (they're sitting up on their own more by that point) and are much easier to push.

If you have the money, I prefer the Britax-70 line. They rear-face to 40 and forward face to 70lbs, and I like the fact that Britax will replace your seat if there's an accident, but also that they guarantee it's safety in a small accident (most other seats require you to replace after a small accident as much as a large accident. Since Britax tests at higher impacts, they can guarantee it's safety after a short accident.) I like how this line actually has a steel bar on either side, and each is independently latched to the car's Latch system, plus the fact that it allows anchoring even rearfacing. Anchoring is when the top of the car seat is tied down to the floor of the car. In an accident where the seat belt fails or the latch fails that anchor can keep the seat in place.

With my children, I used a Graco Snugride for my first, and a Graco Snugride 35 for my second. With my first I hauled the seat everywhere and just about broke my back and arms. :P The stroller was a monster to deal with (and actually got recalled.) She was switched to a Britax Decathlon at 16 months about. Because of fitting issues, we didn't go directly to the Britax with my second born. With my second, we got the Snugride 35 and left it in the car, taking him in and out, using an Ergo carrier. That was far more enjoyable and when he was crying or teething I could put him in the Ergo and bounce on my exercise ball or do things around the house and he'd calm down and sleep. If I was at church or something I could put him in the Ergo and walk and he'd fall asleep. It was far better for both of us. At about 10 months old, I put him in a Britax Boulevard 70 and we tried it on my newborn preemie nephew and he fit it as well. I'm impressed at the changes, and like it a great deal. If/When I have a third, we will go immediately to a Britax Boulevard 70 (or whatever has been updated.) They're more expensive, but should last the full 6 years until it's expired, and I have no complaints.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment