Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What is your favorite stroller, car seat, or travel system and why?

best baby travel systems 2010 on ... baby britax introduces b agile double stroller growing your baby xpx
best baby travel systems 2010 image



cole2585


I am a first-time mom (due Sept 10, 2010) but I have been a full-time nanny for 6 years, so I have an idea of what I want/do not want in a stroller/car seat. Ideally, I would like a travel system so that I can place the car seat in the stroller for convenience when my baby is sleeping but they can also be very bulky and heavy for me at 5'2" and 110lbs. Some of the other features I was looking for in a stroller are:

* A seat that fully reclines
* A footrest on the stroller that can be secured so that the stroller can make a bassinet (not one of my priorities, but a nice feature)
* A tray for the child (it doesn't matter to me if there is a cup holder for my son or not because once he can use it the cup will end up on the ground anyway, that's what toddlers do)
* At least one parent cup holder and a storage compartment of some kind near the handle
* A large basket that can be accessed without disturbing a sleeping baby in the fully reclined position
* Straps that are easy to adjust and also easy to open/close with a squirming child either inside or in your arms
* Something that can fold up and fit into the trunk of my mid-size car with room to spare for other essentials or groceries
* Of coarse safety and durability so I can continue to use the stroller until my son is a toddler

In a car seat:

* Straps that are easy to adjust and also easy to open/close with a squirming child either inside or in your arms, especially in harsh weather since the winters here can get bad- I don't want to be fumbling with straps when I'm hanging half outside of my car in a snow storm with my infant
* Comfortable fabric that is soft enough for a newborn but breathable enough not to make him sweaty and uncomfortable in the hot sticky weather - I also don't want anything that will get hot in the sun while it is sitting in my car
* Safety
* Easy to install correctly and know that it is secured properly

I have been in and out of stores devoting hours, sometimes whole days, to trying to find the right combination. I have read reviews on every website I could find and they all contradict each other. The only consistent review I have seen is that the stroller frames (with no seat, the ones you snap your car seat into) are poorly built and the wheels fall off. Other than that, people are often arguing about who's child is bigger and why my child is 8 months and still fits in this car seat and her child is 7 months and can't anymore or whether you should use your stroller/car seat in such and such way. My favorite reviews are the ones that say they have never actually used the product because the baby isn't here yet, but it's so beautiful! That is not helpful.

So, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the topic with their opinions on the features of products they have actually used. Thank you for your time!



Answer
After months of research I found a carseat and a stroller. I havn't tried anything else so I don't really have much to compare them too.

The carseat I chose was the britax chaperone. It's a bit difficult to take in and out, with a 2 door car at least. Rebound bar on base... It's very safe

The stroller is the city mini stroller by baby jogger. My 2 year old nephew sleeps in it as comfortably as my 1 month old. It fully reclines, the part the baby lays on is soft but durable, the straps are easy enough. Comes with a huge basket underneath. It's 3 wheels, the front swivels or locks in place. SO easy to maneuver, can use one hand to push and steer! It's under 17 pounds and all you have to do to fold it is pull a latch and it just collapses. Then you sort of throw it out and it's set up!

The only downside to this stroller is you have to buy the carseat adapter, child tray, parents drink holder separetely, I wouldn't get the adapter, it's easy enough for a baby of any size to sleep comfortably.

When it comes to the carseat, I'm not too sure if that's the best pick, but I wouldn't dream of getting a different stroller now

Is this infant carrier expired?




DawnHollid


The infant carrier/travel system I am wanting to buy was made 05/16/2010. It is the Baby Trend Stride Sport Travel System- All Star. I have looked and found no recalls on this item. My due date to have my son is in July of 2012 so the car seat will be 2 years old. I was wondering if it is still alright to use? I know some manufactures have a 5-6 year warranty. Also, I live in Missouri and I have heard that some hospitals don't except infant carriers that are over a year old.. Is this true?


Answer
Most car seats expire after 5 or 6 years after the manufacture date. I don't think the hospital will notice at all, but I would exercise extreme caution when using a used car seat. You should, of course, check the car seat for visible damage, but sometimes car seats that have been in accidents have hairline, micro-cracks.

I would think it is perfectly acceptable to use. If you do have doubts, however, I would buy another car seat.

You do know that you don't have to use an infant seat, right? You can use a convertible car seat straight from birth; some converitbles don't fit newborns right- (the harness straps should always be below when rear facing and sometimes the lowest harness height is above the shoulders).

If you have any doubt whatsoever, I would recommend purchasing a $50 convertible car seat called the Cosco Scenera 40 lb weight limit.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment